Spittlebugs are pests, sucking the sap from garden plants and using it to make their protective, slimy froth. Eventually they grow into froghoppers. But while they are in their nymph form, if you gently scoop one out of its foam, you’ll find that it’s weirdly adorable and almost invisibly small.
I love these guys!
The lady warned me she might be. I didn’t think so. But now almost 2 weeks later I do think so. Which means she’s due to pop in the next week or week and a half. If anyone in the Milwaukee area is interested in a rat baby, let me know! Great for kids or college students!
I have anger issues. I know I do.
I think only the people closest to me have ever seen any of my outbursts. Last night I was trying to get Thor in his kennel right before bed and he just kept running away. He finally jumped onto the bed and I got a hold of him, and he pees everywhere out of fear. (This dog has been abused in the past). I was so pissed that I flung around, kicked the baby gate out of the door, and I’m 90% sure I fractured my toe. I then refused to come back in the room and slept on the couch most of the night with no blankets or anything. I was just pissed. And was pissing myself off more by being pissed.
90% of the time, it’s the dogs. The other 10% of the time includes lights being too bright, music too loud, floor not vacuumed, and people interacting with me in a perceived negative way. In those situations I just FREAK OUT out of nowhere.
My toe hurts a lot.
A Clean River is a Fun River
Yesterday Tom and I picked up a nice garden box, tomato holder things, an assortment of seeds (including edamame and garlic, yum) a raspberry bush and this adorable little curry plant. The curry plant makes the whole house smell like Indian food. Our basil is also growning really well. We’re going to have a good yield this year!
Seattle’s vision of an urban food oasis is going forward. A seven-acre plot of land in the city’s Beacon Hill neighborhood will be planted with hundreds of different kinds of edibles: walnut and chestnut trees; blueberry and raspberry bushes; fruit trees, including apples and pears; exotics like pineapple, yuzu citrus, guava, persimmons, honeyberries, and lingonberries; herbs; and more. All will be available for public plucking to anyone who wanders into the city’s first food forest.
“This is totally innovative, and has never been done before in a public park,” Margarett Harrison, lead landscape architect for the Beacon Food Forest project, tells TakePart. Harrison is working on construction and permit drawings now and expects to break ground this summer.
The concept of a food forest certainly pushes the envelope on urban agriculture and is grounded in the concept of permaculture, which means it will be perennial and self-sustaining, like a forest is in the wild. Not only is this forest Seattle’s first large-scale permaculture project, but it’s also believed to be the first of its kind in the nation.
DO THIS EVERYWHERE FOREVER!
We just wanted to see mom’s face again… see her smile…
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY